We, as a community, have a responsibility to care for the most vulnerable members of our Society, whom LITTLE EDEN lovingly calls Angels.
Giving something towards the care of one of these beautiful souls is not only a necessity for the one you are supporting, but it also brings hidden blessings to the giver.
The same care and hidden blessings were summed up by one of South Africa’s icons, Nelson Mandela in his message during the Conference for the Disabled on 4 April 2004 when he said: “Disabled people do not need the patronage of the non-disabled. It is for us to adapt our understanding of a common humanity; to learn of the richness of how human life is diverse; to recognise the presence of disability in our human midst as an enrichment of our diversity.”
With this New Year granted to us, it is fitting to honour our special generous supporters who take up Mandela’s challenge of understanding the common humanity with of people with disabilities.
Our supporters carried us through the past 52 years. With their spirit of giving, they also bring a sense of gratitude that LITTLE EDEN is a place where we daily continue to believe in the magical impact of the benevolence and goodness of people.
Over the years, schools, businesses, corporates, individuals both local and international have visited our facilities to meet our Angels and have given various forms of support such as donations-in-kind, monetary donations, some have rendered pro bono services, supported our events, while others simply pray for us all, which makes our load of caring for our precious Angels a lot lighter.
LITTLE EDEN receives approximately 42% of its operating budget from Government which helps our Society to ensure suitable and quality care for our 300 residents with profound intellectual disability. Currently, it costs R12 500 to care for one Angel per month. The cost covers everything a resident needs – from basic food, shelter, to 24-hour care, medication, and various stimulation activities. This immense task cannot be fulfilled without our donors’ assistance.
During this period of new resolutions, the sky is the limit in terms how you can support LITTLE EDEN.
- Two big upcoming events are the CEO Wheelchair Campaign, to be launched on 27 February which continues to the end of March and the annual Fête which will take place on 11 May. Visit our website at littleeden.org.za for more information on these events.
- Donations-in-kind which are not suitable for the residents are sold at our LITTLE EDEN Second-hand Shop. Funds raised through the Shop Operation go directly towards the care of our residents. Any pre-loved and gently used clothing, household goods, kitchen appliances, as well as toys, furniture and bric-a-brac would be appreciated.
- Through our Adopt An Angel programme, you have an opportunity to make a real difference in the life of one of our Angels by making a monthly monetary donation.
- You can also bring joy by paying a visit or sponsoring an Angel’s birthday. Through pre-arranged appointments, we welcome visitors, volunteers and learners who want to do community hours.
- You can also support us by changing your beneficiary on your MySchool or Makro cards to LITTLE EDEN Society. You could also leave a legacy by making the residents of LITTLE EDEN beneficiaries in your will.
- Visit https://www.littleeden.org.za/donate.php to make a donation.