What price can you put on a child’s happiness? Our children love the fun of the annual Easter egg hunt, but a box of marshmallow eggs doesn’t go far when you have a ‘family’ of 300!
With South Africa sliding into a recession and unemployment rising (more South Africans receive grants than have jobs) pressure on the Department of Health and Social Welfare seems set to worsen. As it is, government subsidies for children with disabilities increased by a meagre 5% last year . . . the third increase in seven years!
At the same time, the cost of nursing and medical care has risen steeply, leading to an ever widening gap between the payment we receive from government and the real cost of caring for a child with profound intellectual disability.
Many of our children are unable to walk, talk, feed themselves or use the toilet – they nee someone to be there for them, 24 hours a day. Some of them receive care on a level with that provided by a hospital ICU unit.
Last year, around 34% of the cost of providing this level of care was covered by the Department of Health – the remaining 66% came from generous individuals and companies, trusts and foundations and income from our Second-hand Shop.
Although we continually explore new ways of becoming more self-sustainable, and are committed to belt tightening in order to contain costs, our children still rely heavily on the kindness of people like you.
No matter how large or small your contribution, it does make a difference – especially if made on a regular monthly basis. Please let your friends, neighbours and business associates know about the wonderful work carried out at LITTLE EDEN, and encourage them to support our children as you are doing. Thank you for everything you do to help – it is greatly appreciated.