We’re proud to have been invited to share the work of LITTLE EDEN Society at the United Nations 15th session of the Conference of State Parties (COSP) of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD). Entitled The role of sport and cultural life in building inclusive and participatory societies for persons with disabilities in the post-COVID 19 context, the session is a side event of COSP.
Along with global specialised NGOs, Progetto Filippide (Italy), Teatro Patologico (Italy), Monaco Disease Power (Monaco) and an Albanian NGO, working with persons with disabilities, LITTLE EDEN will have 3 minutes to talk about the impact of the pandemic on sport and cultural activities offered at the Society.
Join us via live stream on UN Web TV on 15 June 2022, from 13h15-14h30 New York time (which is 19h15 South African time). Other speakers include the permanent representatives of Italy, Albania, Monaco and South Africa, as well as UNICEF Deputy Director, Genevieve Boutin.
The panel will focus on:
- Identifying specific challenges faced during the pandemic by persons with disabilities;
- Advocating for the effective and meaningful participation of persons with disabilities in the rebuilding of economies and societies in the post-Covid19 recovery;
- Sharing innovative sustainable solutions;
- Highlighting the contribution of civil society organisations in the design and implementation of inclusion;
- Promoting the human rights-based approach to disability enshrined in the CRPD. This approach overturns both the charity and the medical models, which see persons with disabilities as recipients of charity or medical treatment.
We hope this will be a positive opportunity to share our work and grow our affiliation with these influential organisations.